6.15.2013

melon & avocado salad with lemon basil olive oil dressing

Summertime is upon us. My grandpa's patio is gleaming bright with all kinds of greenery. Chirping from the birds, the sweet "hello's" I hear from Lola our Cockatoo, and the sounds of the peaceful waterfall remind me that I am blessed to be spending my summer months here with my wonderful grandpa.
Melon & Avocado Salad with Lemon Basil Olive Oil Dressing
I've had salads on my mind for days, and began scribbling down combinations of ingredients whenever they had come to mind. Maybe it's the warmth, or maybe it's just my lack of consuming enough healthful foods lately, but I've been craving all things fresh and grown from nurturing soil.
Melon & Avocado Salad with Lemon Basil Olive Oil Dressing
I've recently become aware that my small hometown finally curated a farmer's market. It's about damn time, Spring Hill. I paid a visit a couple of weekends ago on my way to go thrift shopping, and although it didn't compare to other farmer's markets, I'm still proud. It's a start, albeit a small one. It seems that this town may slowly be learning the importance and appreciation for food grown with love. I was disappointed, however, that I couldn't find my arms full of rhubarb like I had hoped. It's been on my mind, too. 'Tis the season! 
Melon & Avocado Salad with Lemon Basil Olive Oil Dressing
I don't know what influenced me to come up with this salad. To be honest, I think I was craving watermelon as I was grocery shopping one day, and it all flowed from there. I tested out the recipe a couple of weeks ago, with the intentions that I'd have it up on the blog days later. When will I come to the realization that as long as I'm enrolled in some form of a physics class, all things blog/food/photography related will never go as planned? Sigh.
Melon & Avocado Salad with Lemon Basil Olive Oil Dressing
The good news is, my professor is pretty freaking awesome, and this salad is insanely delicious & simple. Two things to keep me happy for at least a little while. And hopefully you, too. (The salad part, I mean.)
Melon & Avocado Salad with Lemon Basil Olive Oil Dressing
Utterly refreshing and juicy, I found myself eating almost both servings after I finished shooting today. And I wasn't even that hungry because I had already been snacking on the melon throughout the day. That's kind of saying something. I say "kind of" because I've known myself to eat purely for taste rather than for hunger on multiple occasions. And I know I'm not alone on that!
Melon & Avocado Salad with Lemon Basil Olive Oil Dressing


Melon & Avocado Salad with Lemon Basil Olive Oil Dressing
makes 1 serving

Be sure your watermelon and cantaloupe are nice and ripe. I find that both melons taste best when they are bought whole, left to ripen, then cut and stored in air-tight containers in the fridge. Buying them already pre-cut in the container may be easier, but in my opinion it is definitely not as good!

salad:
1 to 1 1/2 cups of baby spinach
1/2 cup watermelon, cut into chunks
1/2 cup cantaloupe, also cut into chunks
1/2 an avocado*
roasted sunflower seeds (sprinkle on as much as you'd like)

*The first time I made this salad, I used the entire avocado. Today I only used half and I think it fit better. Feel free to do either or, though.

dressing:
makes ~1/4 cup
the juice from 1 large lemon
3 tablespoons of olive oil
1/2 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped or chiffonade
pinch of sea salt
pinch of black pepper

Cut the watermelon, cantaloupe, and avocado. In a small bowl, squeeze the lemon juice and add the olive oil, salt, and pepper. Whisk until immersed. Stir in the basil (or you could sprinkle over the salad, either works). Combine the spinach, melon, and avocado, sprinkle with sunflower seeds, and finally dress.

Enjoy time and time again on these hot summer days, xx. Melon & Avocado Salad with Lemon Basil Olive Oil Dressing Melon & Avocado Salad with Lemon Basil Olive Oil Dressing

2 comments :


  1. I was diagnosed as HEPATITIS B carrier in 2013 with fibrosis of the
    liver already present. I started on antiviral medications which
    reduced the viral load initially. After a couple of years the virus
    became resistant. I started on HEPATITIS B Herbal treatment from
    ULTIMATE LIFE CLINIC (www.ultimatelifeclinic.com) in March, 2020. Their
    treatment totally reversed the virus. I did another blood test after
    the 6 months long treatment and tested negative to the virus. Amazing
    treatment! This treatment is a breakthrough for all HBV carriers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How to get rid of Yahoo search on chrome?

    It is your choice if you want a yahoo search or not. So if you wish to remove it and get rid of it, you can do that. And the process isn’t that overwhelming. Everyone can perform these steps. To remove it, start your PC in Safe Mode. Safe Mode is the perfect environment to solve the critical errors as only system programs, and some important ones run. So it will kill the applications which run automatically on the system and you’ll get the answer tohow to get rid of yahoo search on chrome . So this way, you’ll get rid of yahoo search.

    Instant tips to make Yahoo My Homepage!

    While there are a variety of emailing systems accessible today, Yahoo is one of the most popular options for most people. However, there may be occasions when you consider how to make Yahoo my homepage. When you set Yahoo as your homepage on your computer, you can have quick accesses to Yahoo services whenever you open a browser. You must change the settings to designate Yahoo as your default homepage if you want the web browser to open Yahoo Homepage every time you open it. However, there are several options on how to make yahoo my homepage.

    What is the need to turn off email notifications on Outlook iPhone?

    Outlook is undoubtedly one of the top email services. And it makes our life easier. But sometimes, these services distract us from our primary goals. So, unless and until the job demands an outlook, you should keep the notification off. Otherwise, messages like “You Have New Mail” will stop popping, disturb, and distract you. When you will turn off email notifications Outlook iPhone, then it will help keep you more focused on the task, and you’ll be able to do more and more.

    Why is iCloud Email not Working?

    Apple knows that iCloud Mail experiences an issue that stops users from sending, receiving or even accessing the mail account. The status tells you to sit back and wait until the problem is resolved. But, it would be best if you did not do that. Instead, follow the steps given below to solve the issue. Firstly check if your iCloud Mail is turned on to solve icloud email not working. And if it is off, then toggle it on. Then ensure that there is enough storage on iCloud. For that, go to settings. Then click on your name and go to iCloud. Then you can clear the repository accordingly.

    ReplyDelete