brown rice with onions & garden peppers
yield: 2 servings
- ~1/2 of a normal-sized green bell pepper, chopped (you can add more or less depending on your preference)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 of a medium-sized onion, sliced thin (I used a white onion)
- ~1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup of instant brown rice (+ 1 cup of water)
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 1 1/2 teaspoons tomato paste (you can add more or less depending on your preference)
- pinch of salt & pepper
Meanwhile, boil 1 cup of water in a small saucepan and add 1 chicken bouillon cube.
Add the dry rice to the skillet with the onions, peppers, and garlic, stir it around, and toast for ~2 minutes. Toasting the rice helps to bring out the flavor.
Add everything from the skillet (peppers, onions, garlic, rice) into the saucepan. Add the tomato paste, and give the rice a good stir. Turn down the heat from a boil to a simmer, add a generous pinch of black pepper, and cook for ~7 minutes (or follow the box directions). All the stock should be absorbed and the rice should be fluffy.
Garnish with some fresh parsley and enjoy! :)