Until I get my tripod to function, I can't photograph myself and the food in the same shot. But I'm totally okay with that, and I'm so happy Alex agreed to let me snap some photos of her instead!
Whole Wheat Mint Chocolate Cupcakes with Mint Cream Cheese Filling
Yield: ~22 cupcakes
adapted from the baker chick, adapted from martha stewart's cupcakes
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 cups Sucanat sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon instant coffee*
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup warm water
- 3/4 cup low fat buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons of a light oil (sunflower, canola, vegetable)
- 1 teaspoon mint extract (peppermint can be substituted if necessary)
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 4 oz cream cheese softened
- 1 (16-oz.) package powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/4 teaspoon peppermint or mint extract
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line standard muffin tins with paper liners. Set aside.
2. In a large mixing bowl, sift together the cocoa powder, flour, sugar, instant coffee, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
3. Lightly whisk the eggs in a small bowl, then add the eggs. warm water, buttermilk, oil and mint extract to the dry ingredients. Whisk until smooth, about 3 minutes. Make sure the ingredients are well-mixed.
4. Using a 1/4 cup measuring cup, divide the batter evenly among the muffin cups. (~ 2/3 full)
5. Bake for about 20 minutes, or until a tooth pick comes out clean. Rotate pans half-way through if needed. Transfer to a wire rack. Cool completely.
6.For the filling: Cream together butter and cream cheese.
7.Gradually add the powdered sugar alternating it with the peppermint extract and milk.
9. Using a corer or simply a knife, make a well in the middle of the cupcake.
10. Add filling to a piping bag and pipe into the cupcake.
11. Garnish the finished cupcake with a dark chocolate morsel.