4.04.2012

blueberry basil smoothie

According to the weather app on my phone, it was 90 degrees in Gainesville yesterday. I stepped out of the house to go to class wearing jeans and a shirt, and I instantly knew it was a mistake. On hot days, I always find myself craving smoothies. I felt a little daring, and I also wanted to use up the blueberries I had. The result? A Blueberry Basil Smoothie. It sounds like an usual/wrong combination, but oh was it so right!! I will be making these all the time from now on. The hint of basil adds a whole new meaning to the word refreshing!

Yield: 1 serving (~ 2 cups)

Ingredients:
  • ~1 cup of fresh blueberries (this doesn't have to be exact)
  • 1/2 cup of plain, fat-free Greek yogurt
  • 1/2 cup of vanilla almond milk
  • 1 tbsp of ground flax
  • 2 tbsp of wheat germ
  • 1 frozen banana, cut into slices
  • a few fresh basil leaves (to your taste)
Directions:

1. Rinse blueberries
2. Add almond milk, blueberries, frozen banana slices, ground flax, wheat germ, Greek yogurt, and basil into blending cup. (or blender)
3. Blend together well.

super simple & delicious!








I decided to eat mine with a spoon instead of drink it. So good!!
(The lighting in this particular spot makes the smoothie look really blueish-purple. I like it!)




After I photographed all of that food yesterday, Little Jack wanted some attention too!


Shadows were getting the best of him! Lol



P.S.- Happy 8th Birthday to my little brother Nicholas!!



1 comment :

  1. The smoothie looks very yummy! What made you think of adding basil to the blueberries? Little Jack is soooo cute! He's such a good boy =)Nick looks like he's enjoying his b-day and he's getting big too fast. P.S Why don't you text my sissy (Aunt Carol) and show her your blog? She would just love allllll this!!!

    ReplyDelete