4.12.2012

roasted veggie whole wheat wrap

Every free minute that I have, I find myself adding ideas and flavor combinations to my exponentially growing list of, well, ideas! I am so excited about all of them!! I am dedicating this Sunday to SC&OO, so that I can test some of these recipes and post them for you guys next week!

As for today, I was not expecting in the least bit that I'd be posting something. However, after I made this wrap for lunch today I felt that I was obligated to, because that's how freaking good it was!

Yesterday, Lisa and I went food shopping and tried to think what we could have in the house for lunch that is quick, easy, and healthy. We both agreed that wraps would be perfect! We walked out of the grocery store with a shopping cart full of vegetables and healthy foods. What could be better? ....Using those ingredients to make a juicy, tasty, awesome lunch, that's what! :)


Roasted vegetables, hints of garlic, and spring mix greens pair up with hummus and reduced fat feta to make one healthy, delicious, and easy wrap.


Yield: 1 wrap

Ingredients:

There isn't really a specific amount of each ingredient that you need to add. It's all to your taste, but what you see below is approximately how much I used.
  • 1 Whole wheat wrap
  • 2 Tbsp of Roasted garlic hummus
  • 1/2 cup of Spring mix greens
  • Radish & clover sprouts, to your taste
  • ~ 1 1/2 Tbsp Reduced fat feta cheese
  • Red bell pepper, roasted (as many as you want to make & refrigerate)
  • Zucchini, roasted (as many as you want to make & refrigerate)

Note: I roasted the zucchini and bell pepper the night before, then put them in the fridge. It's a good idea to do this if you plan on making these throughout the week. All of the work is already done when lunch times rolls around :)
 
Directions:

Roasting the Veggies:

1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees

2. Wash and dry zucchini and red bell pepper. Cut zucchini into chunks. Add a little salt, pepper, and drizzle with olive oil. Put them on a sheet pan, roast for ~5-8 min. Keep an eye on them because zucchini tends to get soft very fast. I like mine with a bite to it. Let them cool to room temp before placing them in the refrigerator.

3. I roast my pepper by baking it at 350 for 20 minutes, then at 375 for another 5-10 min. I recently read that you can simply put them under broiler for a few minutes instead, though I haven't tried it. Whichever way you decide, just to be sure to turn your pepper frequently so that each side gets even charring on the skin.

4. After it is done roasting, place it in a bowl and cover it with plastic wrap (~10 min). The trapped steam helps loosen the skin.

5. When the pepper is cool enough for you to handle, pull out the stem, cut open the pepper, and scrape out the seeds. If you'd like to save all of the pepper juice (yum!!!), place a sieve over a bowl when scraping out the seeds. It will drain the juice, but collect all of the seeds.

6. Peel off the skin, then cut pepper into slices. You can add the pepper juice back to the sliced roasted pepper when you refrigerate it. (so good!)

I hope that's all understandable! I don't have any step-by-step photos because I didn't think I'd be posting this just yet. It's very easy though :)


Assembling the wrap:

1. Spread hummus on wrap. Add spring mix greens, roasted zucchini (as many chunks as you want), roasted red pepper (as many slices as you want), radish and clover sprouts, and reduced fat feta.

2. Wrap it up and enjoy!! :)


***************

You can use as much as or as little of the ingredients as you'd like. Feel free to add other things as well! We bought matchstick carrots and soy crumbles that I might try on my wrap tomorrow.


Sprouts are so yummy! Lisa saw these at Publix, so we decided to try them. I've had alfalfa sprouts, but I've never had these. I really like them!! They have quite a "bite" to them, so I didn't use too much in my wrap. They just add that little kick. :)


Spring Mix lettuce is one of my favorites! It's very appealing also.


All the delicious goodness before it gets wrapped up! If you look closely you can see the roasted garlic hummus. So. freaking. good. I am a huge lover of garlic, so it was perfect!


There were two halves, but I ate the first one before I started photographing this one. Couldn't resist!



 I decided that left-over homemade butternut squash soup would be lovely to have on the side. I heated some up and enjoyed a very nice lunch while watching Food Network. (What else do I watch now-a-days besides that and Friends??)


I think I'm going to pretend that the terrible headache I had for the latter half of the day didn't happen. Today was too nice of a day with perfect weather to be ruining it with that migraine!

And with that, I leave you with a few photos from Easter Sunday at Grandma & Grandpa Centola's house :)





So happy you are back in your own home and I was able to spend Easter with you and Grandma. I love you Grandpa!





0 comments :

Post a Comment