7.01.2012

watermelon & feta salad

About a year and a half ago I was at a local bistro and had one of the most delectable
lunches my mouth had ever tasted. It was a time where I was trying new things, especially flavor
combinations I would have never though to put together. The waitress walked over to our
table and described the specials to us. When I heard "A watermelon and feta salad with
pumpkin seeds and olive oil," I instantly knew this would be one of the new foods I wanted to try.
I ordered this salad, alongside a cup of butternut squash soup.
Both were outstanding.
Naturally, I had to figure out a way to recreate these foods, and well, I succeeded.
I'm in love with my butternut squash soup, and this watermelon and feta salad is quite possibly
my all-time favorite salad. Both are so easy to make, but are packed with flavor and texture.

Today I am only posting the salad, but I plan on making the soup very soon (maybe even today), because I have all of the ingredients on hand. It's usually something you'd see on a fall
menu, but it's so perfectly pleasant that I'll eat it any day of the year.

watermelon & feta salad
A salty-sweet combination your mouth will surely thank you for. Textures, complimentary
flavors, and the juiciness of the watermelon makes this a truly divine salad.

yield: 1 large serving, or 2 smaller servings

ingredients:

2 cups of cubed watermelon
1/2 cup of cubed or crumbled reduced fat feta
2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
1/2 tablespoon of pepita (pumpkin) seeds
generous pinch of freshly ground black pepper

for a mouth-watering salad, use quality ingredients:
extra virgin olive oil instead of olive oil
freshly ground black pepper instead of already ground pepper
*because there is no cooking involved, quality is important

steps:

Cube your watermelon and measure out 2 cups
You can buy already cubed watermelon, but I prefer to buy the quartered
watermelon and cut it up myself. I also think it's cheaper that way.

Cube the feta
You can also buy already crumbled feta,
which works really well too.
Add the watermelon and feta to a bowl. Drizzle with EVOO, sprinkle
with pepita seeds, and add the black pepper. Toss together and
enjoy.

*this salad tastes best when served cold. If you know you wont be
eating it right away, but would like to make it ahead of time, cube watermelon
and feta and put them in separate covered bowls in the fridge. When you are
ready to serve it, toss the feta and melon together and add the
EVOO, pepita seeds, and black pepper, that way it all stays fresh!

****
Make this salad on skewers if you're feeling a little fancy. It would be a hit at your
next BBQ or party and perfect for the 4th!


****

1 comment :

  1. I never would have thought putting these 2 things together. Im anxious to try it though since I was just telling you I do the sweet n salty thing all the time. Lol Grandma said your pics are so good that they have inspired her to start painting again. She wants to get a canvas and start painting your food pics! Her amazing ability to paint your recipes would look beautiful hanging up in your cafe in West Village :)

    ReplyDelete